2.3.1 Equality and Diversity / Prevent
Welcome to chapter 3 of the 'Policies, pastoral care and practical applications' module.
We will discuss how Equality and Diversity relates to Inclusion in greater detail in module 4, but this chapter will describe the concepts and outline the legislation and policies which underpin them in institutions. Another key policy which has been implemented in response to current affairs is the Prevent strategy, which aims to minimise risk of radicalisation with the overall aim of preventing terrorism. This policy has been somewhat controversial; this will also be discussed within this chapter.
Goals for this section
- To understand what Equality and Diversity are and why they are vital to teaching practice.
- To understand what the Prevent strategy is and how it is implemented within Educational institutions.
Objectives for this section
- To be able to explain what Equality and Diversity is and how the policies in place enforce this.
- To be able to identify ways in which Equality and Diversity are promoted daily across Educational institutions.
- To understand and describe the strengths and limitations of the Prevent strategy.
- To consider the ways in Equality, Diversity and Prevent can be integrated into everyday teaching practice.